Julio TS #7
Date: August 12
Tutee: Wei
Topic: Reviewing Conditionals, new vocab, and speaking
Feedback provided: I gave positive feedback to Wei for answering the questions with the correct conditional and for recognizing with condition each question was eliciting correctly. As for the new vocab, I introduced her to a corpus tool called SKELL which can help show which words are most associated with or collocate with other words. This is because she asked me about the difference between mindset and mentality, which are incredibly similar. Afterwards, we did a speaking activity where she told me a story about Chinese history, and I notated errors and provided error correction afterwards.
Lessons learned: Advanced students often know which errors they have made and how to correct them, they just often need them pointed out. Additionally, synonyms may also trip up learners, because they may expect two words to have different contexts or meaning, when they are in fact almost universally interchangeable.
Comments
Post a Comment